ADSM-L

Tape % utilisation

2015-10-04 17:51:04
Subject: Tape % utilisation
From: Phil Chissell [SMTP:phil.chissell AT NATPOWER DOT COM]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
We are running ADSM V3 (ptf 4) on NT with V3 clients (ptf 3) on NT.

Has anybody else seen this (output from 'query volume' command):-

TR1000                    TAPEPOOL     TAPECLASS   356,775.6   32.7
Filling

The above volume is a DLT 7000 tape with a (uncompressed) capacity of 35
GB.

The above tape seem to have a capacity in excess of 350 GB and is less
than 50% full.  Now, I've heard of good compression rates but this is
ridiculous!

The problem is that a reclamation process was kicked off - tape TR1000
was mounted as an output volume but after a short time, the tape
recorded a "write error" as the end-of-tape marker was reached.  The
volume status was changed to "read only" but the "pct. utilised" value
stayed the same as above.  The reclamation process then just hung with
the input volume still mounted.  No additional tapes were mounted (event
though there were plenty available) and the only way I could kill the
process (a 'cancel process' command didn't work) was to reset the
reclamation threshold to 100% on the stgpool and bounce the ADSM Server.

Does anybody have any ideas? (like how to change the pct. utilised field
to be 100 %)????

Regards

Phil

Phil Chissell
National Power plc
Windmill Hill Business Park
Whitehill Way
Swindon
Wilts. SN5 6PB
UK

Tel:  +44 (0)1793 894237
Fax: +44 (0)1793 894230
MailTo:Phil.Chissell AT natpower DOT com