ADSM-L

Re: Move Nodes to another ADSM server

1998-11-19 16:37:53
Subject: Re: Move Nodes to another ADSM server
From: Dwight Cook <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 15:37:53 -0600
     OK, I missed out of a few of the earlier messages, but I'm doing a
     bunch of the same....

     Since the two adsm environments I am shifting between do NOT have a
     common tape drive type (well, does now but I still use this practice)
     I export the client node to virtual tapes on the server I'm moving it
     to (via server to server communications)  I also found that if I
     define the capacity of the server device to be something like a
     terabyte, each export creates only 1 (yes, one) virtual volume on the
     remote server which simplifies the import command.  Less things for
     you, the individual, to keep track of AND less things for the two
     servers to keep track of :-)

     later,
           Dwight

Author:  jhealy (jhealy AT CHUBB DOT COM) at unix,mime
Date:    11/19/98 12:58 PM

Jack,
        Initially I did quite a bit of import/export when our Adsm DB's grew
quite large.
I found that making a checkoff list of all the tasks required was very
helpful. Use macros for issueing the commands as much as possible especially
the imports because you may have to rerun them. And limit the amount that you
attempt simultaneously to around 5 because viewing the log can sometimes get
confusing when searching for the tapes that get created.
Jim