ADSM-L

Re[2]: Archive & offsite

1998-11-19 12:48:58
Subject: Re[2]: Archive & offsite
From: Chris Roelofs <Chris.J.Roelofs AT MAIL.ING DOT NL>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 17:48:58 +0000
     Hello all,

     Wanda Prather wrote:

     <quote>
     You could use the Export function to do that.  Or, just open the
     Properties of the tape you want to remove, and change its access mode
     to "offsite". Then ADSM won't call for that tape again.  However, the
     data base entries describing the tape and its contents will remain.
     <unquote>

     However, volumes in a primary pool aren't allowed to have an offsite
     status, so...

     Our site really wants to do a lot of archiving, for legal and other
     purposes. But I also have to make backups, and now I'm having problems
     archiving and backupping the same (!) data within the available
     window.

     IBM, why can't ADSM do some kind of backup-to-archive conversion for
     specific data of a specific client at a specific time. And then allow
     for offsite vaulting of volumes in an "archive storage pool"? All the
     data I want to archive is already at the ADSM server in the form of
     backup, so why not simply copy it?

     Please comment on this idea.

     Regards,

     Chris Roelofs