ADSM-L

Re: NT Scheduler vs. Service

1998-11-17 18:57:36
Subject: Re: NT Scheduler vs. Service
From: Russell Street <russells AT AUCKLAND.AC DOT NZ>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 12:57:36 +1300
Most of the time, the creating an ADSM Service to do the backups is
best... for all the wonderful reasons below.

However, using NT's AT can give you more flexibility.  For example,
shutting down a database before backup, restarting it afterwards.  For
a task that makes a snap shot of a directory using PKZIP and having
ADSM back the ZIP file (why?  it was deemed better that way for that
data set.)

While you can set up these tasks to be done by the ADM client
"PRESCHEDLECMD" and "POSTSCHEDULECMD" options, these apply to every
scheduled event.

So if someone decided to use ADSM to schedule a restore or an
immediate event PRE and POST would be run, with possibly disastrous
consquences.

Another good use would be multiple, parallel streams.  I think the
list has done this one recently.

Or to provide deterministic scheduling to one client, but the majority
of your client base can happily use randomisation.

Russell