ADSM-L

Memory not enough problem

1998-11-12 21:09:57
Subject: Memory not enough problem
From: Leng Kok Leong <Leng AT MESINIAGA.COM DOT MY>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 10:09:57 +0800
I wonder if any of the gurus out there has any clue on this problem at my
newly install site.

Environment:-
RS/6000 R40 server with 256MB RAM running AIX 4.1.5;
ADSM server V2.1.5.0 running on the R40;
ADSM backup/archive client V2 running on the same R40;
A network computer from NCD with 8MB (it is running CDE connecting to the
R40 via ethernet LAN);

Problem description:-
I want to do a backup of the JFS on the R40. The NCD is used to invoke the
dsm-GUI backup/archive client on the R40 because the R40 does not have a
graphics card. Whenever the dsm is invoked, the backup/archive interface
would appear on screen but the operation failed with the following error
messages in dialogue boxes.

     NS3826L Not enough memory for operation. (appears 3 times);
     ANS3156E Cannot query server mount information;
     ! Cannot query Policy Set information from server

  After that, all I can do is to click on the OK buttons to close all the
messages. And I could not get the file spaces listed (the one at the
bottom) because the client is not connected to the server.

I tried with the PC (with 32MB RAM) running X-ware and it gives me the same
problem. However, I can invoke the dsmadm admin program successfully. I
also have no problem using the dsmc to backup the files and JFS from the
R40. I just can't invoke the dsm.

Any pointers?

Thanks in advance,
Leng Kok Leong