ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Server on Solaris

1998-11-11 16:59:18
Subject: Re: ADSM Server on Solaris
From: Steven P Roder <tkssteve AT REXX.ACSU.BUFFALO DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 16:59:18 -0500
> > To save ADSM marketing too much digging around, is there any chance those of
> > you running your ADSM servers on Solaris could let me have some company
> > names to get an idea of how popular this choice of server platform is? This

We run it here at the University at Buffalo on an E3002 with Magstar-MP
drives (eight 3570-C1A across two 3575-L12's).  We have a 44GB database,
and just over 6TB of data on tape, and a duplicate 6TB of data on tape in
a vault.

As far as the server goes, it has been very stable, and
installation/maintenance is a snap, as IBM provides everything in pkg
format, including the IBMtape device driver.  The main problems I have had
are with IBMtape, and the 3570 microcode, almost all of which are now
resolved.  All of you out there with 3570's:  That microcode was
developed as a result of my problems here over the past 8 months. ;-).

> We desperately need the DFS-client ported over to solaris though, as we
> generally don't have AIX machines and are relying on DFS in the future.

Same here.  As a stop-gap, we are backing up our DFS filesystems via AIX,
but would much perfer to use the Sun client and hardware platform.

> Another thing is that I still haven't grasped is how to let each user
> restore his own files on the fileserver.. It seems that IBM has a seriously
> screwed picture on how to differentiate between client machines and users. :)

We do not allow end-user restores.  However, this is a general client
issue, and not related to the server platform.

> > they are the first 'victims' ;-). I'd be interested if there are any known
> > glitches with using Solaris servers.

Not any more than there is for any of the other server platforms.  Nearly
all of the code is common on all platforms.

One last word on the Solaris platform:  I can personnally say that the
ADSM Solaris Server development team is top notch, and have been extremely
responsive to my problems.

My main concern at this time in the game is the Sun DFS Client issue.

IBM, is one planned?  If so, when?  If not, why not?

Steve (unVMix Systems Programmer/Dude) Roder
(tkssteve AT ubvm.cc.buffalo DOT edu | tkssteve AT acsu.buffalo DOT edu |
(716)645-3564 ,