ADSM-L

NT and 3570 problem

1998-11-06 15:15:49
Subject: NT and 3570 problem
From: Rick E Smith <resmith AT CA.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 15:15:49 -0500
Hello,
 I was hoping one of you might have some suggestions on solving a
problem I've run into.

I was helping a customer set up a ADSM demo for evaluation purposes. They are
running ADSM on Windows NT 3.1.2.0 and using a 3570 for the tape storage pool.
Everything was set up IE storage pool, migration, copy pools, ADSM database and
recovery log, Tape system, administrative a client scheduals. The back up were
working fine including the clients and the ADSM database. Then all of a sudden
nothing could be backed up it would just hang. Anything I tried to do that
involved the storage pools (disk or tape) would cause a hang including queries.
Listed below is some of the messages that we found just before and after this
occured.

These were in the NT event log

2:53:34 ANR9999D:Error code 203
2:53:34 ANR9999D:Error opening disk D:\ADSMData\Log1.DSM
 Fatal error while trying to open an ADSM volume. The most likely cause
of this error is that another ADSM server is running and has allocated the
  volume....
These previous two error messages were displayed 3 times in the same second.

2:53:33 The server is using the following registry key Server1
2:53:33  The ADSM server has started

Every time the server starts the following two statements were in the ADSM
activity log

2:39:00 ANR1305l: Disk volume D:\IBM\ADSM\Server\Data1.dsm varied online
3:02:11 ANR1305l: Disk volume D:\IBM\ADSM\Server\Data1.dsm varied online

The ADSM database and recovery log had around 20% utilization so I can see that
being a problem

I'm baffled on this one so please make some suggestions on what might have
happened and how I can fix the problem.
Thank-you,

Rick E. Smith
(905) 316 - 5003