ADSM-L

Re: Performance problems restoring to WindowsNT servers (multistr eaming)

1998-11-04 19:26:54
Subject: Re: Performance problems restoring to WindowsNT servers (multistr eaming)
From: Carl Makin <Carl.Makin AT IPAUSTRALIA.GOV DOT AU>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 10:26:54 +1000
Kelly Lipp Writes;
> Multi streaming means to have more than one job working on the problem.
> Ideally, this works best with clients that have more than one disk or
> filespace, otherwise you can create big time disk contention by doing
this.

I use a similar method to backup a RAID array we have here that has 8.6
Million 40Kb TIFF images in 53 filesystems. (440Gb in total). It certainly
makes it go considerably faster to run 4 or so backups at once, even though
we only have 2 tape drives drives.

On the restore side, yesterday we were seeing around 3.5GB/hour restoring
over 100Mb/s ethernet using 7 concurrent restore processes.  This was
definately limited by only having 2 tape drives.

We should have a 9710 with 6 DLT drives next week, and we will be running
some performance tests then.

Carl.
(Server F50 AIX 4.2.1, ADSM 3.1.2.0, clients AIX and solaris at 3.1.0.5.)