ADSM-L

Re: 3570 errors continued

1998-11-04 18:17:23
Subject: Re: 3570 errors continued
From: Shane <shanesmith AT WESTPAC.COM DOT AU>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 09:17:23 +1000
Michael,

Please let me know how you go. Today, one of our 3570 units got a jammed drive
and we lost the backups again for another night. We had to power the system
down to get into it so we could get it out.

We have had microcode upgrades, CE's on site and many hours of time spent on
recovering bad VCR, bad SCSI and other errors. Some of the errors have trashed
up our system and we have had to spend a few days trying to recover - which
means some of our systems are not being backed up, or we have had to go to our
old backup system.

I don't like the 3570 units, and I would not recommend them to anyone that is
serious about reliable enterprise storage. Maybe they'd be okay in a small
site, but we hammer our systems each day and night and I think the 3570 is out
of its depth.

We are looking at a 3494 solution, 'cos apparently, unlike the 3570, it works.
When we get the 3494's we're going to have a ritual meltdown of the 3570s, or
use them as boat anchors.!!!!!

If this sounds harsh, then tough. Our data is our business - and if we cannot
get stable, reliable backups, then we'd be out of business and I'd be out of a
job.

Regards
Shane