ADSM-L

Re[2]: 3570 errors continued

1998-11-04 14:30:34
Subject: Re[2]: 3570 errors continued
From: ALLEN BARTH <abarth AT KEMPER DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 13:30:34 -0600
     Well it was on a 3490e but I had a case where: say I have drives 1, 2,
     3, & 4.

     Tapes would occasionally self destruct.  (become unreadable)

     what was happening was drive 3 could read anything created anywhere,
     tapes created/modded by drive 3 could ONLY be read by drive 3 - the
     other drives would get io errors so ADSM marked the tapes as
     unavailable

     checked microcode, cables, adapters, drive controller....yada yada

     Ran diags until the diag program complained about overtime pay <- JOKE

     CE checked alignment on heads - OK
     CE REPLACED read/write head on drive 3 - PROBLEM WENT AWAY -

     Go figure!

     Also, do 3570's use Atape.driver?  What level are you at?  Had some
     issues with this before too.

     Hope this helps.
     Al Barth
     Scudder Kemper Investments