ADSM-L

REDUCING DB VOLUMES

1998-11-04 14:41:42
Subject: REDUCING DB VOLUMES
From: Steve Siegelman <steve.siegelman AT MCI DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 11:41:42 -0800
Hello All,

I am in the process of cleaning house and in the process I have reduced the
number of used pages in the ADSM database.
Currently I have two db volumes: one is 1000meg and one 200meg.  My current
goal is to free up the 200meg db file and remove it.
I know the procedure but what I am unable to accomplish is to get the Max
Reduction value over the 200meg mark in order to
Continue with the reduce db step.    The problem is that the output from the
'q db' command contradicts itself by indicating that the 'Max Reduction'
value is only 148meg.  After I did the math between the Used Pages and the
Total Usable Pages, the 'Max Reduction' value should be over 400 meg

My ADSM server release is 2.1.0.6.  I am in the process of cleaning up the
environment before upgrading.  I ran a full DB backup of
The database already.

The output from the 'q db' command is as follows:

Avail        Assigned   Maximum   Maximum    Page     Total      Used
%Util  Max.
 Space    Capacity    Extension   Reduction    Size     Usable     Pages
%Util
     (MB)     (MB)       (MB)              (MB)         (bytes)    Pages
---------     --------        ---------       ---------          -------
 1,200      1,200         0                    148          4,096    307,200
190,151     61.9  75.1

Any thoughts or ideas would be great.  Thanks for your help,

Steve Siegelman
SP2 Systems Administration
MCI/Worldcom
Atlanta, GA