ADSM-L

Re: Performance problems restoring to WindowsNT servers

1998-11-04 07:58:58
Subject: Re: Performance problems restoring to WindowsNT servers
From: "Bushman, Christopher M" <cbushman AT AMP DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 07:58:58 -0500
We have a similar environment (+1 million files in active filespaces).  We
have been conducting regular disaster recovery tests and have also seen the
performance problems that you address.

One of our problems that we discovered, was the fact that although data had
been backing up with V3 client and server for sometime, some data was still
active that had been backed up using V2.  Apparently, if there is any active
V2 data, a V3 restore will behave like a V2 restore (Grab breakfast, lunch,
and dinner while you wait for the client to build the restore list).  Can
anyone at ADSM Development confirm this?

Another problem we encountered was with multistreaming the restore.  We had
been using an uncollocated storagepool.  When we began multiple restore
sessions, it was not long before there was tape contention.  You have the
same issue when you use collocation at the node level, therefore we found
that collocation at the filespace level is our only viable alternative.

Hope that this helps,

Christopher Bushman
NT Technical Services -200 AMP Drive
AMP Inc.