ADSM-L

Re: DLT tapes: how old is old?

1998-11-03 13:47:57
Subject: Re: DLT tapes: how old is old?
From: Paul Zarnowski <vkm AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 13:47:57 -0500
At 11:29 AM 11/3/98 -0500, you wrote:
>[ I could have sworn I'd seen something about this already, but
>  can't find it in the archives... ]
>
>I've set up a scheme where the first backup of any machine (these are
>multi-GB Unix servers, and I dump the whole OS) goes directly to my tape
>pool, which means I've got a few tapes sitting around that don't have a lot
>of reclaimable space on them.  What's your feeling on how long those tapes
>should go before I recycle them (by doing a "move data", I guess)?
>Naturally, the primary and copypool data is pretty much in the same state
>(the copypool tapes are aging and not being freed up, either)...
>
>Thanks.
>
>Pat Wilson
>paw AT dartmouth DOT edu

I just happened to read an article in "Storage Management Solutions"
magazine today that might be of interest.  I quote (without permission)
from it:

"Under proper storage conditions, the life expectancy of media will surpass
the practical life expectancy of the hardware due to technical obsolescence
(Table 1).  In fact, today's half-inch digital linear tape will last as
long as your house, your career, or three generations of pets.  With some
tape technologies, whose head and tape paths are harsh like helical scan,
the media does not last as long."  The article has a lot of other good info
as well, such as the importance of temperature and humidity in storing
tapes for long term viability.

"Table 1 - Expected Tape Lifetime

Tape Media    Life in Years

9-track            1-2
8mm                5-10
4mm                8-10
3480 carts        12-15
DLT carts         20-30"

The article is authored by Sam Green who "... is in the DLTtape platform
market development department at Quantum Corporation (Colorado Springs, CO)."

..Paul