ADSM-L

Re: Exchange agent and expiration

1998-11-02 15:48:41
Subject: Re: Exchange agent and expiration
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 15:48:41 -0500
James,

We know that this isn't working as you would like it right now.

Exchange (and SQL) backups work differently than just a file backup
since each database "backup" is not necessarily a complete replacement
of the prior backup, unless it is a full backup.  So, we needed to make sure
prior backups didn't get "expired" prematurely.  In addition, the cleanup
of "expired" incremental backups have a few conditions...

It all comes down to the fact that expiration is not automatic today.
We DO know about the requirement and have some solutions that we
are looking at.  At this point, I cannot give any dates.

As you have probably seen, there are a number of customers who
have automated this "deletion" of old backups.  Some have done
it with Perl and some have done it with straight NT 4.0 command
scripting and a few utilities from Microsoft.  The Perl examples
can be found by searching the archives of this list.

Del

Del Hoobler
Del Hoobler
IBM ADSM Agent Development