ADSM-L

Re: Can WinNT client installation be automated?

1998-10-30 08:54:58
Subject: Re: Can WinNT client installation be automated?
From: Bill Smoldt <smoldt AT STORSOL DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 06:54:58 -0700
Jim,

My preferred procedure is similar to Ben's without re-packaging the kit and
publishing a central directory on the network.

1. Expand the kit using the Unpacksb.bat file or the package name with
the -d option, e.g.
IP21371S.EXE -d
2. Edit the files in .\ADSMcli\Win32\Intel\Config\

ba_dsm.opt - this will become the intalled dsm.opt

sa_dsm.opt - optional - if you're going to install the server admin files

Customc.ini - optional. Copy to the Intel directory if you wish
Yourfile.txt  - if you use the Customc.ini file

3. Share the \Intel directory with some descriptive name.
4. Run the setup program from the Intel directory with the -r option

...\Intel\Setup -r
This creates the setup.iss file in your %SystemRoot% directory (usually
C:\Winnt)

5. Copy setup.iss to the ...\Intel\ directory.
6. Create a command file to run Setup -s from this directory - I use
setup.cmd.
7. Instruct users to map the shared directory and doubleclick the setup.cmd
file.

If your ba_dsm.opt file does not contain the nodename, the user is finished.
If you have to use the nodename opt, I put PutYourNodeName here as that
option and tell them to edit the dsm.opt file.

Bill Smoldt
SSSI