ADSM-L

Re: Long filenames vs. 8.3 filenames

1998-10-30 03:33:15
Subject: Re: Long filenames vs. 8.3 filenames
From: "Loon, E.J. van - SPLXM" <Eric-van.Loon AT KLM DOT NL>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 09:33:15 +0100
Hi Bob!
Let me explain how WINDOWS (and I print this in uppercase because
Windows assignes the 8.3 names, not ADSM) assignes the 8.3 names.
Let's say I create 3 directories in the specified order:
Long filename:                  DOS filename:
c:\Microsoft Office             c:\micros~1
c:\Microsoft Outlook            c:\micros~2
c:\Microsoft Visual Basic       c:\micros~3
Now I back these directories up with ADSM and I delete the directories
afterwards.
Now, the DOS name c:\micros~1 will be used for the directory which will
be restored first. So if the directory c:\Microsoft Visual Basic will be
restored first this directory will carry the DOS name c:\micros~1, the
next will be c:\micros~2 etc.
So its just a "works as designed" matter here. Your user should not use
the 8.3 name. Is there any reason why he/she does?
Kindest regards,
Eric van Loon