ADSM-L

Files going to wrong storage pool

1998-10-29 10:28:30
Subject: Files going to wrong storage pool
From: Robert Jarry <jarry AT UTS.CC.UTEXAS DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 09:28:30 -0600
I have seen several instances of files going to the wrong storage pools.
In all cases the files were initially going to the correct storage pool
and for some weird reason all the files for a daily incremental went to
the wrong disk pool. It was the same disk pool in all cases and was
noticed because that disk pool migrates to a collocated tape pool.
However, it has occurred for several different nodes in several different
domains.

The tape volume was deleted in all cases and all the data for that volume
discarded.  However, all subsequent incrementals appear to continue to
write the files previously backed up to the wrong pool to that pool again.
All the other files being backed up for that node go to the correct pool.

It appears that certain files somehow got permanently bound to the wrong
management class without any changes being made to the include/exclude
file. Since our operators move data from tape to disk to manually reclaim
tapes I'm thinking perhaps they specified the wrong disk pool at some
point. However, I have found no evidence of this. Even if this was done,
I don't see this permanently rebinding the files in question to a
different management class. Also, after discarding all the files on the
wrong tape volume I feel the next backup should place those files into the
correct storage pool.

I am running the AIX server v3.1.1.5 (ptf U458722) and all the clients
having this problem were WinNT clients.

I see this as a seriously problem and would like to know if it represents
a feature or a bug.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Robert Jarry

Robert Jarry                             email:  r.jarry AT cc.utexas DOT edu
Robert Jarry                             email:  r.jarry AT cc.utexas DOT edu
Unix Services                            phone:  (512) 475-9330
Academic Computing & IT Services
The University of Texas at Austin