ADSM-L

Re: backup taking too long

1998-10-28 16:46:28
Subject: Re: backup taking too long
From: Shane <shanesmith AT WESTPAC.COM DOT AU>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 07:46:28 +1000
Hi!!!!

Charles, something must of changed over the past few weeks to blow your backup
times from 3hrs to 3 days. One fortunate thing about computers is they do the
same stupid thing the same stupid way forever - unless something has changed to
upset this rhythm.

Firstly, go and check what changes to networks or systems were implemented a
few weeks ago. If you have a Network Group, ask them to run a few traces on the
LAN. Specify your ADSM IP address (or NETBIOS or whatever addressing you use)
to the Network Group and ask them to trace traffic that goes to and from it.
Also, run a trace against the Raven. Check the "Nodes" information on ADSM and
see how much data is coming from the client and also how much time you are
waiting for the network.

Also, if you have a development/maintenance team for Domino, go and speak with
them to see if they haven't upgraded or changed anything.

Something, somewhere has changed. You just got to play detective and find the
source of change. It's not much help, but it's the best I can offer. I speak
with the voice of experience,  'cos we have a stack of knuckleheads where I
work who seem to change things without  notifying anyone, and sometimes these
changes blow out our backup times.

Regards
Shane