ADSM-L

Re: Is network backup still a good idea?

1998-10-26 08:52:41
Subject: Re: Is network backup still a good idea?
From: Nicholas Cassimatis <nickpc AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 08:52:41 -0500
Wait a second, why are you even backing up WINWORD.EXE anyway?  To me, that's
part of the Platform Image that would be put down on a system before a restore
is done.  Backup, in my opinion, is for data, not applications.  It may be
stretching the point a bit, but there should be no problem with having an
"exclude ?\...\*.exe" in DSM.OPT.  This is a DSM.OPT tuning issue more than
anything else.  For user workstation backups, the data flow should be very very
small.  Data files, customization (ini) files, and that's about it.

This position does not work as well on enterprise systems, where there is a lot
of data, and the total amount of data changed in a day is quite high, but then
you probably also have a more advanced network in place to reach that data.

Also, how many times does WINWORD.EXE change, anyway?  It should be backed up
once, and only once, at the most.  If you have multiple versions of WINWORD.EXE
on your ADSM Server, and you haven't upgraded the product, I'd be running that
virus checker.

Nick Cassimatis
nickpc AT us.ibm DOT com

If you don't have the time to do it right the first time, where will you find
the time to do it again?