ADSM-L

Common nodenames in distributed-file-system environment

1998-10-23 12:43:08
Subject: Common nodenames in distributed-file-system environment
From: "J. O'Neall" <oneall AT IN2P3 DOT FR>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 17:43:08 +0100
Hello, all --

We are running the AFS file system on some 100 different stations.  Users on
any station must be able to access files archived on any other.  When this
was discussed with folks from other large AFS + ADSM sites a few years back,
someone (I remember who.) recommended using the same Nodename value in the
dsm.sys file on all stations.  We've been doing this with great success on
HP-UX and AIX stations ever since.

Alas, in the migration of the clients from V2 to V3, we have encountered
some problems on the HP-UX platform.  One of IBM's replies was that the use
of common Nodenames across different platforms is not supported!

What I want to know is, who else is doing this and are you having any
problems?

Thanks in advance for any replies or (I hope) support.

John O'Neall
Centre de Calcul de l'IN2P3
Lyon/Villeurbanne