ADSM-L

STK ACSLS and ADSM

1998-10-19 12:50:17
Subject: STK ACSLS and ADSM
From: Larry Chisesi <lchisesi AT COCOMP DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 10:50:17 -0600
We are looking to share an STK 9710 SCSI library with 10 DLT 7000
drives. We understand that the ACSLS product from STK enables this.  We
will have   a dedicated ADSM server taking 3-4 of the drives for backing
up clients via a 100 Mb network.  We want to directly attach 2 large HP
servers that have Oracle databases > 200 GB to the STK library so that
we are not backing them up over the net, going directly to the tape
drives in the 9710 instead.

  I have heard from an IBM rep that we need to have ADSM server licenses
on these two HP servers, in addition to the ADSM server license for our
dedicated backup server,  and that these Oracle servers have their own
ADSM databases, manage their own media, etc.   Someone else told me that
the library is managed by the dedicated ADSM server via ACSLS and the
Oracle servers merely output to the tape drives in the library.

We are trying to create an environment that is easy to administer (who
isn't!) and works as simply as possible.   Does anyone have experience
with ACSLS in the Unix environment?  We will have either an AIX box or
Solaris system be the dedicated ADSM server.  Can you point me to any
IBM documentation that lays this out, along with licensing requirements?

Thanks!

Larry Chisesi
CoComp Technical Services