ADSM-L

Excluded files not expiring

1998-10-16 12:30:08
Subject: Excluded files not expiring
From: Robert Jarry <jarry AT UTS.CC.UTEXAS DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 11:30:08 -0500
I need help in getting rid of a BUNCH of files that got backed up by
mistake and are consuming lots of tape resources. The files are the
.snapshot files for our netapp filer. I finally figured out how to get
them excluded after they got initially backed up.

The commands "query content" and "query occup" show that the files are
still around. However, they show as inactive on the restore gui. I have
the "exclude.dir /netapp/doh/.snapshot" statement in my include/exclude
file and after several successful backups the .snapshot files still are
there.

Shouldn't these files expire as a result of running an incremental backup
with them excluded? Any suggestions on how to get rid of them will be
greatly appreciated. I don't want to change the VERDELETED and RETONLY
parms because of the impact on the other files in that copygroup.

I am running the AIX v3.1.5 client (ptf  U457575) and AIX v3.1.5 server.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Robert Jarry

Robert Jarry                             email:  r.jarry AT cc.utexas DOT edu
Robert Jarry                             email:  r.jarry AT cc.utexas DOT edu
Unix Services                            phone:  (512) 475-9330
Academic Computing & IT Services
The University of Texas at Austin