ADSM-L

AW: ADSM on Token Ring

1998-10-12 06:21:53
Subject: AW: ADSM on Token Ring
From: Michael Bartl <michael.bartl AT ZENTRALE.ADAC DOT DE>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 12:21:53 +0200
Adrian,
we have an ATM Backbone serving TokenRing (4/16) segments. Our NT-Servers do
not have direct ATM access, but are all located in (small) TR segments. The
uplink to our S390 host at the moment is a 16mbit gateway that will be
upgraded to ATM soon.
For the ADSM backup we transfer an amount of 18-25 GB daily. I think we'd
reach the limit soon when we do not upgrade the host gateway. Right now
there's not too much sparetime left, so initial fullbackups of new servers
are a bit risky.

To minimize wait time (e.g. for tape mounts) be sure to have your primary
storage pool emptied to tape before backup time starts and design your
poolsize large enough to fit at least the total data load of one night
(except very large files that go directly to tape)

Regards,
Michael
--
Michael H. Bartl