ADSM-L

Disaster Recovery questions

2015-10-04 17:52:21
Subject: Disaster Recovery questions
From: Ronnie Ignacio [SMTP:rigna1 AT JCPENNEY DOT COM]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Hi ADSMers,

I'm new to ADSM and need your help. (Our ADSM Admin had left for greener
pasture). I just
created a disaster recovery plan by issuing the PREPARE command, and the
plan indicates that
to restore our servers, I needed to restore 400 tapes!!!. I ran a space
reclamation on our
offsite tapes and the number of tapes to be restored went down a litte bit
when I issued
the PREPARE command again. The following is our environment. We are
currently backing up 15
unix servers with ADSM. We do an incremental backup everyday on our
Non-Database files and
the backup's destination is a disk storage pools. The data on the disk
storage pools are
migrated to a tape storage pools when the disk pools reach a predefined
percentage utilization.
Our DBA's do an oracle archive every night and the archive's destination is
the tape storage
pools. After all the backups and archive are completed, we copy the disk
storage pools, and
the tape storage pools to a copy storage pools. Do we need to copy the disk
storage pools to
the copy storage pools? I thought that because the data in the disk pools
are migrated to the
tape when the disk pools reached a predefined threshold, that doing a disk
pool copy to a
copy pools just copies duplicate data. In short, I'd like to restore our
critical servers as
fast as I can. Out of the 15 servers we are backing up, we identified 8
critical servers. Would
it be better if I create a separate disk storage pools for incremental
backup and separate
tape storage pool for archive for the critical servers and then copy the
critical servers pools
to a separate copy storage pools. I'm guessing that when we do this we may
have the same number
of tapes to restore ALL servers but a little less when we just want to
restore the CRITICAL
servers. Am I making any sense? Apologies for this long posting.

Thanks In Advance for any help.

Regards,
Ron