ADSM-L

Re: Problems/Questions about ADSM agent for MS SQL Server

1998-10-06 07:43:40
Subject: Re: Problems/Questions about ADSM agent for MS SQL Server
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 07:43:40 -0400
Wim,

See my answers embedded below.

-------------------------
Del Hoobler
IBM ADSM Agent Development
hoobler AT us.ibm DOT com

> 1.      Does there exist a version of the GUI program 'ADSM Connect Agent
> for SQL Server' where you can administer, from a workstation PC, the SQL
> Servers with this agent installed on it (without having installed SQL Server
> on the workstation) ?
***
*** The current version of the ADSMConnect Agent for Microsoft SQL Server
*** only runs on the same machine as the SQL Server.  It cannot be
*** run from a remote machine.  We know that this is a desirable
*** option that we are looking at for the future.
***

> 2.      Will it be possible, in a future release, to configure that all
> backups of SQL databases older then for instance 1 month, will be deleted
> automatically ? Now you have to delete the old backups manually from within
> the GUI program or from the command line (where you have to specify a
> special object name of the backup) ?
***
*** This is a known requirement for the ADSM SQL Agent
*** (and ADSM Exchange Agent also).  We are looking at
*** solutions for a future release.  Until then, you
*** can automate this via Perl scripts.  Look at the
*** archives for this list, specifically the one
*** as an append by me (hoobler AT us.ibm DOT com) on 6/18/98.
*** It contains examples of scripts that will help out
*** until we add this function into the Agents.
***

> Can anyone tell me when the PTF 1.1.1 will be available ? What extra
> features will be included with this update ?
***
*** PTF 1.1.1 is available now.  I announced it via this list a few
*** days ago. Look at the list archives for my append on 10/2/1998.
*** My append lists a few of the things available in the PTF but
*** the README file shipped with the PTF gives details on
*** what is included in the PTF.
***

> Another question : now, we're using ADSM version 2.1.6. I heard that version
> 3 will be more integrated with the agents (for SQL,Exchange,Lotus Notes).
> Will this version also solve one of my problems ?
***
*** Are you referring to version 2.1.6 of the ADSM Server?  If so,
*** the latest SQL Agent PTF has added function to log backup and
*** restore events to the ADSM Server activity log as well as
*** update the "Last Backup Start/Stop times.
***