ADSM-L

AW: force client tcp port

1998-09-30 08:19:04
Subject: AW: force client tcp port
From: Michael Bartl <michael.bartl AT ZENTRALE.ADAC DOT DE>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 14:19:04 +0200
Timothy,
you didn't mention, which client OS you're using.
In general, I think ADSM makes use of the standard TCP/IP sockets
implementation of the OS. On NT, for example, it's the WINSOCK
implementation.
Any machine that initiates a session has to do this on a predefined port
(like 1500), when a session gets established, another port has to be used to
get the original one fre for other connections.
The ports for this already initiated connection are selected randomly on
both sides, using API functions of the Sockets implementation. These
functions have access to a list of ports already in use and return a free
and usable one.

I don't think it will be a feature in ADSM to restrict the usage of ports to
a small range, but it could be possible to trick the Sockets API functions
in a way, so they believe only a small range of port numbers to be
available...
Therefor you could browse thru the helpfiles of your network package.

Good luck,
regards
Michael
--