ADSM-L

Re: Automating schedule for monthly backups

1998-09-24 06:28:27
Subject: Re: Automating schedule for monthly backups
From: Stuart McIntyre <stuart AT DYADIC DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 11:28:27 +0100
Johan,

Why are you attempting to do monthly full backups?  Is this intended to
provide you with an offsite backup??

ADSM is a pig at enforced full backups.  It's whole paradigm is based
around the endless cycle of incrementals - never full backups.  When we
first implemented ADSM v3, we only had a single drive, and so Copy Stgpools
were not an option, therefore we tried the same as you are doing now
(changing the policyset mode to absolute and back again).  It is not worth
it I promise - your DB will become very very large, and you will never have
the right tapes when you come to do a normal restore...

Hope this helps,

Stuart
----------------
Hello Johan,
Hello Johan,

be carefull, changing the management classes for full backup is NO
solution.
Every backued-up file will get rebound to this monthly management class.

We do monthly archiving instead of full backups.

I don't know about the period...

Regards,

Ren? Lambelet - *3543 - *A581
Nestec SA - 55, Av. Nestl? - CH-1800 Vevey
Tel: ++41/21/924'35'43 / Fax: ++41/21/924'45'89
E-Mail: rene.lambelet AT nestle DOT com