ADSM-L

Re: End reached prematurely on volume

1998-09-22 10:38:56
Subject: Re: End reached prematurely on volume
From: Steven P Roder <tkssteve AT REXX.ACSU.BUFFALO DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 10:38:56 -0400
     I had tons of these on our 3570-B1A drives.  The problem is basically
that ADSM does a read, and hits EOF before reading the entire file or
block.  In my case, the end of one block was being overlayed by the next
block.  The 3570 support folks in Tucson theorized that the tape was
"slipping" back a bit when the drive would drop tention on the tape, as it
is programed to do after a long idle time.  Upon starting up again, the
tape's position was not verified, and the overlay would occur.  I now have
3575-C1A drives, and the problem was resolved in the microcode by
re-positioning the tape before the next write.

If your problem is like mine was, then the data in those blocks is toast,
and you can stop them from being mounted everday for backup storage pool
processing by running an audit with fix=yes, or, which is what I did,
doing a move data, and then a delete volume with discarddata=yes.

I do not know if the microcode in the 3590's shares a common base with the
3570's, but if it does, this could be the same problem.  Tucson called it
the "Chopped Block" problem.  I think Craig Bell is probably listening, so
perhaps he can see if this could be the same problem....

Hope this helps,

> Can anyone explain the following error:
>
> 09/21/1998 11:07:55  ANR9999D asrtrv.c(494): End reached prematurely on volume
>                       000516.
>
> adsm> q vol 000516 f=d
>
>                    Volume Name: 000516
>              Storage Pool Name: 3494POOL
>              Device Class Name: 3494-3590
>        Estimated Capacity (MB): 28,544.7
>                          %Util: 99.2
>                  Volume Status: Full
>                         Access: Read/Write
>         Pct. Reclaimable Space: 0.8
>                Scratch Volume?: No
>                In Error State?: No
>       Number of Writable Sides: 1
>        Number of Times Mounted: 1,406
>              Write Pass Number: 10
>      Approx. Date Last Written: 09/10/1998 19:38:50
>         Approx. Date Last Read: 09/21/1998 11:14:09
>            Date Became Pending:
>         Number of Write Errors: 0
>          Number of Read Errors: 6
>                Volume Location:
> Last Update by (administrator): ADMIN
>          Last Update Date/Time: 02/06/1997 13:30:12
>
> Cheers,
> Henk ten Have                        Academic Computing Services Amsterdam

Steve (unVMix Systems Programmer/Dude) Roder
(tkssteve AT ubvm.cc.buffalo DOT edu | tkssteve AT acsu.buffalo DOT edu |
(716)645-3564 ,