ADSM-L

Re: Cross Client restore Netware to NT -Reply

1998-09-17 13:28:43
Subject: Re: Cross Client restore Netware to NT -Reply
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 13:28:43 -0400
No this will not work. ADSM does not support
cross-platform restore, except in some cases
where the file systems are alike (i.e. restoring
OS/2 FAT files to Windows, etc.).

One particular inhibitor with NetWare is that
the NetWare TSA "bundles" the file and its
attributes into a format called SIDF (I forget
what this stands for) which is Novell
proprietary. ADSM then stores the bundled file
on the server. When ADSM restores the file, it
passes the bundle back to the NetWare TSA, which
unbundles the file and attributes and writes
them to disk.

In order to restore a meaningful file, it needs
to be unbundled properly. The unbundling can
only be performed by NetWare's TSA. So even if
ADSM were to put the bundled file back on, say,
Windows NT, Windows NT does not understand
Novell's SIDF format, and it can't unbundle the
file.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Storage Systems Division
ADSM Client Development
e-mail: storman AT us.ibm DOT com

Jason,
I also thought about this but was unsuccessful.  In trying to get it to =
work, I noted that SET ACCESS is only available for "like platforms". See =
pg 185 ADSM V3R1 Novell Netware Backup-Archive Client.

Maybe...i have not tried this but..... if you assign your novell node name =
to your NT box (may be forced to use comand line interface) and "trick" =
ADSM  that your nt box is really novell.  just a thought.

Dan Laden
>>> jason <warwickj.powerhouse AT DIAL.PIPEX DOT COM> 09/17/98 07:19am >>>
Is it possible to restore backups from a Netware server to an NT server. =
If
so how ?
I have tried SET ACCESS but the NT client cannot see the Netware filespaces=

I'm using v 3.1

Jason Warwick
Elsevier Science Ltd