ADSM-L

Poor performance of the Admin Web server in MVS V3 Server

1998-08-28 16:04:54
Subject: Poor performance of the Admin Web server in MVS V3 Server
From: Bill Colwell <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 16:04:54 -0400
When ADSM/MVS v3 arrived here, I built a small test server and tried the web
admin interface.  I was disappointed, it was very slow!  I defined just 1
node and 5 volumes in a tapepool, and listing the node or a  volume took 30
seconds elapsed time.  The test server was running as a batch job and after
I halted the server, the accounting info showed lots of i/o to the
//DSMAMENG file.  I ran the test server again and observed it in SDSF.  One
request to view the details of a node caused 5,000 i/o's to //DSMAMENG

I put this problem aside and wrote off the web admin.  I also was waiting
for the aggregate reclaim fix before doing anything more with v3. When I
picked it up again, I tried altering the //DSMAMENG file in a number of
ways.  I named it a sequential file instead of a pds member. reblocked it to
half track, I made it a pdse.  I even tried to use hyperbatch (but failed).
All these tests changed the number of i/o's but didn't change the  response
time much.  Finally I browsed the file and guessed that maybe it was some
kind of unix internal structure that didn't map well to QSAM.  So I loaded
it into an HFS.  That did it!  The web admin interface is now quit snappy.
Details of a node come back in about a second!

Has anyone else had bad response from the web admin interface to an MVS v3
server?  I called this in to IBM and while they couldn't reproduce it they
did understand how it could happen and why the HFS make such a big
improvement.  They took an APAR, PQ17025.

If you try this, be sure to copy the ANRMENU member as binary.  Work with
your OE support people to do it.  My server jcl now looks like this --

//SERVER   EXEC PGM=ANRSERV,DYNAMNBR=300,                              //
REGION=128M,TIME=NOLIMIT,PERFORM=10                       //STEPLIB  DD
DSN=ADSM.V3R1.LINKLIB,DISP=SHR                            //DSMAMENG DD
PATH='/usr/adsm/anrmsg/anrmenu',                          //
PATHDISP=(KEEP,KEEP),PATHOPTS=ORDONLY                     //*SMAMENG DD
DSN=ADSM.V3R1.SANRMSG(ANRMENU),DISP=SHR                   //HLPAMENG DD
DSN=ADSM.V3R1.SANRHLP(ANRHENU),DISP=SHR                   //IMAGES   DD
DSN=ADSM.V3R1.SANRIMG(ADSMSERV),DISP=SHR                  //DSK      DD
DSN=ADSM.PROD.DL3,DISP=SHR                                //OPT      DD
DSN=ADSM.V3R1.PROD.SERVER.OPTIONS,                        //
DISP=SHR                                       //*

//SYSPRINT DD  SYSOUT=*
//SYSTERM  DD  SYSOUT=*

Bill Colwell
Bill Colwell