ADSM-L

Re: How far back does ADSM look for a file?

1998-08-26 17:37:32
Subject: Re: How far back does ADSM look for a file?
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 17:37:32 -0400
ADSM always goes for the active (most recent) version of a file unless you
explicitly request an older version (via the GUI or the -pick, -fromdate,
-todate, -inactive, etc., options).
You said that you have COPYFREQUENCY=0 but you didn't indicate that yYou said
that you have COPYFREQUENCY=0 but you didn't indicate that you are
doing selective backups. For incremental backups, COPYFREQUENCY is used as a
criterion to determine whether a changed file should be backed up. It does not
guarantee that the file will be backed up. COPYFREQUENCY indicates the minimum
number of days that must have transpired before a changed file is eligible for
incremental backup. For instance, if COPYFREQUENCY=3, then even if the file
changes daily, it won't back it up until at least 3 days have gone by since the
last time it was backed up. COPYFREQUENCY=0 just means that if the file changes
daily, then it is eligible for backup the next time incremental backup runs.

If you did not specify an older version, try issuing the QUERY BACKUP command
for these files to confirm the last backup date.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Storage Systems Division
ADSM Client Development
e-mail: storman AT us.ibm DOT com

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU on 08/26/98 01:39:16 PM