ADSM-L

Re: Need Help: AS/400 server with 1 tape drive

1998-08-25 21:43:01
Subject: Re: Need Help: AS/400 server with 1 tape drive
From: Sharon Combs <swcombs AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 21:43:01 -0400
As far as I know, V3 is not available on the AS/400 yet but should be coming
with V4R3 of OS/400 sometime this fall (at least that's what I hear).

I have several customers using an AS/400 server with a single tape drive and
that is the exact scenario I use.  For their initial backup, I get them to back
up one server at a time (during the day if network traffic isn't too bad).
Then schedule the incremental backups at night.  Next day, change the storage
pool thresholds to force a migration to tape (I'm assuming they do their AS/400
backups at night so the tape drive isn't available then) and then change the
storage thresholds back for the nightly backups.  In the accounts using this
scenario, it works great!  If you want to chat about this, you can e-mail me at
swcombs AT us.ibm DOT com.  I'm always looking for another AS/400-ADSM cohort!!

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU on 08/25/98 07:26:25 PM