ADSM-L

Re: Simple Question for Client Developers...

1998-08-20 12:57:01
Subject: Re: Simple Question for Client Developers...
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 12:57:01 -0400
ADSM has positioned itself in the market as the Enterprise backup solution -
designed to support large systems for installations that are serious about
protecting Enterprise data.

One of the biggest selling points I used for ADSM V2 was that it was
reliable, the code really works, and it got remarkably good technical
support.

ADSM V3 has indeed been a disappointment.  This installation is being forced
to move to ADSM V3 (no more support for the AIX server) at a significant
upgrade cost, but we can't roll out the V3 Windows client because it is
still too flaky for mass distribution.  Doesn't play well with the customer
here, I can tell you.

It would be a shame indeed if IBM management risked ADSM's position in the
market by allowing quality to decline for whatever reason.

I hope the ADSM developers will take the comments from people on this list
not as criticism, but as AMMUNITION - and let your management know that many
of us are serious indeed about protecting our data, and our users.

Thanks for listening.
Wanda Prather

Opinions expressed here are my own, entirely.