ADSM-L

Re: Database backup procedures

1998-08-19 15:23:41
Subject: Re: Database backup procedures
From: Jon Vander Hill <jcv AT BINC DOT NET>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 14:23:41 -0500
Karen,

Solaris 2.5.1/ADSM 2.6

I have the db and log mirror on one controller/device
and db mirror and log on another controller/device.

I do not use rollforward mode on the log, and I've not implemented DSM (yet).

I do a full backup the db to a 4mm DAT tape every day using
the following command:

backup db type=full dev=hp4mm scratch=no vol=<next available volume>

I have a set of 21 tapes for this purpose.  The tapes are labled with
the dsmlabel utility.  I send one tape offsite each day and get the
seven oldest tapes back on Monday morning.  When the tapes come back,
I delete their volume history records with the following command:

del volhist type=dbbackup todate=<date of most recent tape in set + one day>

The database backup volumes do not appear to be managed by ADSM except for the
records on the volume history.

--
Jon Vander Hill, N8PAP
Jon Vander Hill, N8PAP