ADSM-L

REGBACK/REGREST

1998-08-18 18:24:21
Subject: REGBACK/REGREST
From: Greg Heis <gsheis AT FEDEX DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 17:24:21 -0500
Another NT Registry question:

Question: Why is REGREST able to restore some keys and not others?

Test Scenario:  While logged in as administrator, I ran REGBACK ENTIRE.  I
then manually added keys to several hives throughout the registry.  I ran
REGREST ENTIRE, rebooted, and checked the registry for the keys that I
added.  It was clean. The restore had returned the registry to it's original
state.

Problem:  When I tried this same test on another system, the keys that I
added remained in a couple of the hive: HKEY_CURRENT_USER and HKEY_USERS -

Why did this test work on one machine, but not another?

Greg Heis
FedEx