ADSM-L

adsm vs harbor

1998-08-17 14:52:04
Subject: adsm vs harbor
From: Cindy Cannam <CCannam AT GENAM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 13:52:04 -0500
Hi all!

Does anyone use a product called HARBOR with an MVS or OS/390 platform
server under APPC/LU6.2 and NT clients out there? I'm having a problem
convincing a technical manager here that it wouldn't matter WHAT
backup/recovery product is used (ADSM, Harbor, BackupExec, etc.), an NT
client must at least have its OS and communications environments enabled
before the product can (1) access the mainframe; and (2) restore files and
directory structures.

He's under the impression that having a DOS diskette with network adapter
info is all that's required for getting an NT client up and available for
MVS connectivity. The Harbor people have told him that's all he needs in an
OS/2 environment with APPC protocol. They may be correct with that, however
I contend that NT under TCP/IP presents  a whole set of variables (i.e.,
the registry for starters) that can't possibly be addressed with a single
DOS diskette with minimal network info. With ADSM (and in absence of a V3
server and DRM), NT still has to be loaded and a skeletal comm environment
made available for access to the mainframe. Am I missing the boat here, or
did he drop his oars in the water?

Thanks.

C.L.Cannam
Storage Management