ADSM-L

Tape volume usage - Chris

1998-10-14 04:18:04
Subject: Tape volume usage - Chris
From: Christo Heuer <christoh AT ABSA.CO DOT ZA>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 10:18:04 +0200
Hi Cris,

Normally you will find that this happens when you do not run reclamation
on the tape. Your tape was full at one stage, but as your data expires the
percentage of valid data becomes less. Run reclamation on the tape and
this will solve your problem.
I assume you have a DLT4000 tape drive and you have compression switched
on on the ADSM client side.
The algorithm ADSM uses for compression is similar to the one that the DLT
drive uses. Your data is compressed on the client side, sent to ADSM and
then
when it is written to the drive the drive will try and compress the already
compressed
data. ADSM will only report the amount of data written to the tape and that
is what
you are seeing here.

Regards

Christo Heuër
ABSA Group
Johannesburg
SOUTH AFRICA
"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before."