ADSM-L

mirroring setups

1998-08-13 11:46:23
Subject: mirroring setups
From: Ben Kokenge <ben AT EDMS DOT NET>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 10:46:23 -0500
If someone has already mentioned this, then please ignore...

I thought I would take the time to post some good news.

If anyone has ever had to setup an NT box with all the goodies
(NT o/s, office, etc...) you probably noticed that it takes about
4 hours to get everything the way you want it. (all the tunings,
configurations, desktop, users, mail, icons, the list goes on).
Also don't forget all the reboots you have to do for each new
added software, and then readding the service patches.

Well I have found a another use for ADSM.  Say you have five
identical NT boxes to config.  Config one box, then perform an
ADSM DRM dump with the DRM disks on that config'ed box.  After
that is done, just do a DRM restore to the remaining machines.
The user time to restore is about 10 minutes / box and you can
do all four at the same time.  Once done, change a few things
like IP address, and machine name, and walla - yer done.

Granted this only works with same hard drives and it helps to
have the same NIC card, but for the admins whom have the
ability to do this, the time savings are tremendous.  Not to mention
you get an identical standardized setup.

Happy computing.

Ben