ADSM-L

Backing up an entire cluster

1998-08-12 15:09:10
Subject: Backing up an entire cluster
From: Greg Heis <gsheis AT FEDEX DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 14:09:10 -0500
Hello ADSM folks,

I need to be able to backup all of the files on two systems that are running
Microsoft Cluster Server. Microsoft recommends that each member of the
cluster be backed up separately from the shared scsi drive.  So here is how
I setup ADSM on each system.  Let's call them NodeA, NodeB, and Shared. The
cluster is configured so that some of the resources on the shared drive are
"owned" by Node A, others are "owned" by NodeB.  This is for obvious load
balancing reasons. So I installed the ADSM client on both nodes.  I created
two ADSM Scheduler Services for each node, with unique names of course.
Each was defined using the dsmcutil /optfile pointing to separate opt files.
The optfile for NodeA has it's own nodename and exclusions set for the
shared drive.  The same is true for NodeB.  The opt file for Shared is set
to a nodename that represents only the cluster and exclusions are set for
any of the "system drives".  The Scheduler for NodeA and NodeB is set to
AUTOMATIC.  The scheduler for Shared is set to Manual.  The cluster server
software is configured to start the Scheduler service for Shared and to
failover /  failback automatically.

Here are the problems:

1.  When the backup is run via the scheduler, the backup of NodeA and NodeB
worked great.  For Shared, only the resources that are "owned" by the node
that happened to have the scheduler running were backed up.  I was able to
get a full backup of all of the resources of the shared drive, by forcing
the cluster to failover to a single node.

2.  Files could only be restored to the shared resource from the node that
"owned" the destination resource.  I need to be able to restore files to
Shared from either node.  Perhaps remote restore?

Has anyone come up with a method to backup and restore using ADSM 3 client
and server in this type of environment?  Any IBM folks out there have any
whitepapers and/or Redbooks/ Redpieces on this subject?  IBM offers
Netfinity systems using Microsoft Cluster Server.  How do the engineers that
developed these systems backup using ADSM?

Thank you,