ADSM-L

Re: Adsm agent for Exchange: backup of the MTA not done!

1998-08-12 08:03:56
Subject: Re: Adsm agent for Exchange: backup of the MTA not done!
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 08:03:56 -0400
Ren?,

Keep in mind that the Exchange Agent uses the Exchange API's as
Microsoft defines them.  We are limited by what they provide.
Are you aware of other Exchange backup products that do what
you are asking? I am not.
We contacted Microsoft about your concern.
Here is a response ("==>") from the Microsoft Exchange Development Team:
(FYI..."Jet" is the internal name for their database system.)

==> This is correct, Jet (DB) and the backup API's only function against Jet.
==> They are only responsible for the DB's (DIR and IS) not the MTA... (flat
file)
==> I'm confused however what difference this would make... (read on)
==>
==> The site connectoids (info on who/what/when/where/how to connect to other
==> sites is stored in the Directory) the only things that are stored in the
==> MTA's directory is mail in transit... if the customer wants to stop the MTA
==> at night and back it up they can but this is futile as what the MTA holds
==> changes constantly.

I suspect that the mail in transit will not be "removed" from the sending
Exchange server until it has been "successfully delivered" and committed
to the sendee Exchange Server.  Therefore, it will be backed up by the
sending Exchange server.

I guess the point here is that Microsoft feels this is not an issue.
If it is an issue, then Microsoft must provide an API for us (Exchange Agent)
to use to read this data in a "locked" and "consistent" state.

If you still feel that this is an issue, please describe the backup/recovery
scenario in more detail and I will talk with Microsoft again.

Del Hoobler
ADSM Agent Development