ADSM-L

Re: Restore of UNIX systems

1998-08-05 18:29:09
Subject: Re: Restore of UNIX systems
From: Peter Gathercole <peter.gathercole AT VIRGIN DOT NET>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 23:29:09 +0100
A lot depends on the flavor of Unix that you are using. In theory it should be
possible to hook a disk up to another server, partition it (if that Unix uses
partitioning), make the filesystems, mount them onto the system in the correct
heirarchy, but hung off another directory, and then restore the files using a
target of the top of the new directory heirarchy. For example, you would mount
the partition you wish to use as / as /othersystem, mount the partition that
will be /usr as /othersystem/usr etc.

You could then use "dsmc restore -fromnode=systemtorestore / /othersystem.

You would have to do this for each filesystem or filespace.

This is only half the story, however. It would be necessary to re-build whatever
is regarded as the boot record for that flavor of Unix. This is almost certainly
possible, but it would be necessary to know how to do it for that particulat
Unix. I cannot tell you how to do this without knowing which Unix varient, and
even then I may not be familier with that Unix.

Peter Gathercole
Open Systems Consultant