ADSM-L

Re: Connect Agent For Lotus Notes

1998-08-03 01:08:28
Subject: Re: Connect Agent For Lotus Notes
From: Craig Murphy <craigm AT NZ1.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 01:08:28 -0400
Mike,

At present we have a 40Gb Notes server running on AIX 4.2.1. The Notes data is
stored in 1 large filesystem and is mirrored using AIX filesystem mirroring.
To get around not using the ADSM Notes Agent (which I believe is slow) but
still give us near 24hr Notes access (we have to do some compacting every
night) we run a script that breaks the mirror and renames the mirrored
filesystem to something else.  i.e we now have say : /notes and /notescopy.
This split takes only a couple of minutes and uses the splitlvcopy AIX command.
We then startup Notes again and begin a ADSM backup of /notescopy filesystem.
Once the backup is complete we resync the mirrors.
We also use a 3590 tape library and connect to our ADSM server over an ATM link
so this help the backup time.

We actually ran this as a test as we weren't sure if it was going to be
successful and meet all our requirements regarding performance, Notes downtime
etc. It worked out really well for our site but unfortunately soon we have to
conform to our global company standard. (which isn't this!!) Darn.

Craig Murphy                                    email - craigm AT nz1.ibm DOT
com
IBM Global Services, Petone        ph 0-4-576-5844
Unix Consultant                                   mobile 021 668257

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU on 29-07-98 00:54:29