ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Database as raw device faster?

1998-07-28 16:41:07
Subject: Re: ADSM Database as raw device faster?
From: "Brown, Ed" <EXBrown AT SNOPUD DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 13:41:07 -0700
I tend to agree with this point.....

> Raw vs JFS is an interesting issue.  Up until now I've gone RAW (on
> everything)
> since it is quicker to setup and is higher performance.  Now however I
> have been
> informed that database corruption can occur if a second server
> instance is started
> (no mention of storage pool space but it would appear to be subject to
> the same
> problem).
>
> Furthermore, according to an internal but third party source, AIX RAW
> device code is
> not being improved while JFS performance is.
> Now I'm leaning toward JFS

This is very interesting, and it seems to make sense. I sounds similar
to the thought
of putting highly accessed files toward the center of the disk for
highest average
access.

> If you only have one SSA initiator the highest activity usage should
> be at the
> mid-point of the loop; presumably this gives the router equally good
> paths to the
> data.  With multiple initiators (interface cards) I'd place the
> highest activity
> usage at the mid-points between the two initiators.

I am still stuck on a point regarding database volumes.

1) Does anyone have a recommendation as to the size of my database
volumes?
        In our current configuration we have 8x512MB storage volumes.
When we
        move to our new ADSM server, should we leave it as is or should
we make
        4x1024, 2x2048, or 1x4096MB database volumes? We have heard that
there
        are performance issues to be considered when selecting the size
of your database
        volumes.

Ed.