ADSM-L

Re: FW: database volumes

1998-07-28 00:24:20
Subject: Re: FW: database volumes
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 00:24:20 -0400
If you lose all copies of a single database volume, then it's recovery time. If
your recovery log is in roll-forward mode *and* it is still intact, you can
actually restore the individual database volume (see RESTORE DB in the Admin
Reference). Otherwise you'll have to restore the entire database.

As to the other question in this post, performance is not a forte of mine, but
I'll hazard a guess: since the ADSM database is accessed randomly, spreading
the database across multiple physical volumes might help performance. Maybe
spread the primary copies across half the disks, and the mirrors across the
other half. On the other hand, the recovery log is sequential in nature, so
it's probably better off being stored contiguously (mirroring on a separate
disk).

Just my $0.02 (say, what *can* you buy for 2 cents nowadays?),

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Storage Systems Division
ADSM Client Development
e-mail: storman AT us.ibm DOT com

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU on 07/27/98 04:09:28 PM