ADSM-L

database volumes

1998-07-27 17:54:36
Subject: database volumes
From: "Brown, Ed" <EXBrown AT SNOPUD DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 14:54:36 -0700
        In our current configuration we have a single large Logical
Volume spread over 10x4.5GB SSA drives. We have 8x500MB database volumes
for our ADSM database. We are upgrading ADSM and moving to a new server.
We have 8x9.1GB SSA drives. We have decided to create a logical volume
on each disk so that we can easily manage the location of our storage
volumes in relation to the physical disks.

        My question is this....

         If I have 6x1GB database volumes, would it be more prudent to
(1) Dedicate 2 physical drives to DBvolumes and place all six of the
DBvolumes on a single drive.  Then use ADSM to mirror them on a
different drive? Or (2) should I spread DBvolumes around onto all of the
drives in the Volume Group?

        Basically, what is the trade off  by spreading the DBvolumes
around on all of the disks, rather then containing them on 2 disks, one
for the DB and one for the mirror.

Ed Brown