ADSM-L

Re: Exchange Agent

1998-07-23 12:25:44
Subject: Re: Exchange Agent
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 12:25:44 -0400
Natalie,

If you want to be able to "Delete" old Exchange backups,
(and have them REALLY go away, i.e. release storage pool space)
you MUST follow the Policy guidelines documented in the
Exchange Agent Installation and User's Guide.

"Roger Hohmann" is correct in stating that each backup
will create a NEW ADSM object, which means that it will
NEVER be replaced by another backup.  So, as Roger stated,
you must initiate "deletes" from the Exchange Agent,
which essentially does "expiration" on the backup object.

If you don't set up a policy as described and you don't
"delete" the backups on a regular basis, you will soon
find that your storage pools will be filled with
Exchange backups that don't go away.

We are looking at ways to add automatic expiration
for Exchange backups, but it is not there today.
Many of our customers have set up scripts that do
the deletions on a scheduled basis.  Search through
the ADSM-L archives to see examples of how some
customers are doing this.

Del Hoobler
ADSM Agent Development