ADSM-L

STK 9710 question

1998-07-22 11:16:14
Subject: STK 9710 question
From: "Buechler, Becky" <buechler AT KCC DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 10:16:14 -0500
I have been working with ADSM server's on MVS for the past two years.
Now I will be adding another ADSM server on a HPUX platform using the
STK 9710 silo.  I am new to the unix environment and tape devices and
have a few questions I was hoping someone could help me with.  The
drives are DLT7000.

1.  What  microcode level does the 9710 silo and drives need to be at? I
remember seeing some information on this list before pertaining to
problems if you aren't at a certain level.

2.   Is it best to add all the carts to ADSM under one device class or
is it better to add multiple ones. Maybe one deviceclass for database
backups, one for copystorage pool and one for the onsite storage pool?

3.)  With the MVS platform we have TMS for handling carts.  Everything
is pretty automatic for sending carts offsite. Is their anything like
this in the unix environment? If not, are the lists created using
scripts? Or do most people use DRM?

I would appreciate any comments or advice pertaining to the STK 9710
silo.

TIA

Becky Buechler
Kimberly Clark Corporation