ADSM-L

Re: ANR0534W

1998-07-21 20:43:27
Subject: Re: ANR0534W
From: Simon Watson <Simon.S.Watson AT OPENMAIL.FIC32.BSPSER.SIMIS DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 08:43:27 +0800
We are having the same problem and have preferred to turn client
compression off rather than do away with the cache.  This seems to work
but is not ideal.  The problem seems to be worst on files that are
already compressed on the client, in our case MS Mail MMF files, which
actually grow when ADSM tries to compress them!  The space they need in
the storage pool is then more than what was originally asked for.

We are seriously thinking of moving completely to H/W compression
because of this problem.  We are using 3590 drives.  Haven't quite
thought this through yet about how to make this change.  Do we need to
create now tape pools, or if we change the drives can our existing
tapes still be read?  Network bandwidth is not really an issue at this stage.

Regards,
Simon