ADSM-L

Re: Help

1998-07-21 14:27:29
Subject: Re: Help
From: Dwight Cook <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 13:27:29 -0500
     Does the MVS box talk to the  world via a 3172 interconnect controller
     (I think that's the right number) or does it have an "open system
     adapter" (OSA) ?

     To move any data you'll need to use the OSA... run two tcp's under
     mvs, have one talk to users, the other talk to adsm clients (each with
     its own hardware, network interface wise). You can tune the tcp/ip's
     much better that way.

     If you're not sucking the MVS processor dry of cpu cycles then you
     need to improve the door into mvs.

     Or just start building AIX adsm servers on S-70's with 3494-L12's &
     3590's... then as the client environment grows to exceed the single
     adsm server, add another.  You get to utilize the existing 3494 by
     just adding a drive cabinet & some more drives.

     We've just started in the the S-70's but with an R-50 and archives it
     would take 3 clients each having two different network connections
     into the adsm server, all the networks being different (ie 6 fddi's
     into the adsm server) and each client running 18 concurrent archive
     sessions with compression turned on to max the adsm server.  So if my
     brain hasn't shorted out yet, I believe the figures came out to 100+
     GB/hr inbound archives with client compression  thus that was 200+
     GB/hr of client data.  That is if the clients has enough CPU to handle
     the disk I/O and compression activity