ADSM-L

Re: ADSM University group?

1998-07-21 12:55:11
Subject: Re: ADSM University group?
From: Bo Ossinger <ossinger AT WSU DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 09:55:11 -0700
At 12:35 PM 7/21/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Is there a sublist of folks running ADSM at academic sites?

  Not that I know of...

>At the moment, I'm primarily interested in how folks think about
>"private" (i.e. single user desktop workstations and/or laptops) vs
>"central" (multi-user, administered) machine backup services.  I've got my
>central machine dumping through one stgpool all using the same mgmtclass;
>seems to me that I want the "private" machines to (at least) dump through
>another stgpool.  It doesn't seem to make much sense to colocate private
>data, but then again, it'll then wind up all over the place...

  We don't back up very many private workstations yet, but have gone just
that route.  Seems that the primary benefit of collocation is more
efficient restores, and that's more of an issue on our central servers than
on workstations.  Not collocating the workstations also lets us get the
most out of our available tape storage.

Bo R. Ossinger                 phone: 509-335-0920
Washington State University    fax:   509-335-6635,,,50920
Information Technology         mailto:ossinger AT wsu DOT edu
Production Support Systems     http://www.wsu.edu/prod_supp/Pss.html
PO Box 641222
Pullman, WA  99164-1222